These group safaris, limited to groups of eight or less, are hosted by one of Africa's foremost wildlife photographers.
About ThePhotographer: Shaun McMinn
"I found my passion in wildlife and nature photography at a young age. Growing up in Zimbabwe, surrounded by some of the most breath-taking scenery in the world my love developed, as I did my eye evolved in photographing the world from an extraordinary perspective.
This desire to capture the natural world in all its sublime nuances grew, which led me to the continent of Australia to study filmmaking. Travelling and documenting the world and its intriguing cultures, whether via the media of still or moving images is something that I am fervently devoted to. Now, I am based in my hometown of Bulawayo, Zimbabwe, where I continue to journey and eternalize rarely seen moments in nature throughout Africa.
Whether on land or water I am drawn by the constant pull of the natural beauty and surreal experiences the world has on offer. Each day is filled to the brim with passionate energy and vibrancy to witness yet another profound moment in our ever-changing existence."
"I believe that a respectful understanding of the behavior of the subject is key to great photographs. Photographing wildlife can betricky so it helps to anticipate what will happen next."
The photographic opportunities will be available through a number of options:
• Game drives
• Guided walks / Hides
• Viewing Platforms
• River cruises
Professional wildlife photographic safari
All photos courtesy of Shaun McMinn
Areas Covered in the Photographic Safari
Moving off of the green setting
• Principles of photography
• Choosing the right equipment for the right picture
• Understanding the relationship between shutter speed and aperture
• Exposure explained
• Using ISO effectively
• Light metering and composition (Getting creative)
• Understanding the Wildlife
• Portraits, landscapes – wide-angle photography
• Creative use of shutter speeds
• Depth of field
• Shooting in low light
• Silhouettes and sunsets
• White balance
• Understanding histograms
• Black and white
• Night photography – star trails and time lapses
Arrive at Victoria Falls Airport
where your Zimbabwean Safari experience begins. You will be met by our Imvelo shuttle vehicle for your road transfer to Zambezi Sands on the banks of the thundering wild waters of the Zambezi River, inside Zambezi National Park (60 min).
· Settle into your luxury tent and then head out on a late afternoon game drive after some tea and cakes while getting set up for the photographic opportunities ahead.
· Stop off at a scenic spot to watch the sun set and animals come down for a drink while you take photographs with sundowners and mouthwatering canapés.
· Night drive back to the lodge followed by a superb 3-course meal out under the stars. ·After dinner we will have a discussion and review the top photos of the day on a projector before retiring to your tent and falling asleep while the river rushes past.
· Wake to the abundance of birdlife and sound of the Zambezi River passing by.
· Enjoy early morning tea or coffee on your private deck overlooking the river followed by a sumptuous breakfast on the river bank outside the main lodge
· Guests will pack daypacks and head out with cameras along the riverbank to capture the areas teaming wildlife & birdlife in their natural habitat.
· Being on the river allows you to get even closer to the wildlife especially hippopotamus and crocodile that are around every corner. Watch elephants swimming between islands and fish eagle gracefully swooping their daily meals.
· Return to camp for a late lunch & then relax for an hour or two in your private splash pool watching the game and birdlife on the river’s edge and in the evening head out on another game drive within the park, stopping for evening drinks and nibbles on the river bank.
· There is no shortage of photographic opportunities especially with the magnificent backdrop being the mighty Zambezi.
· Back at the lodge freshen up before heading to a secret spot with in the park for your outdoor bush dinner.
· Start the day with a tasty early morning breakfast and then pack a daypack for your all day trip into Victoria Falls town where you will be taken on a guided tour of Zimbabwe's foremost attraction –The Victoria Falls. “The smoke that thunders” remains one of the most spectacular natural wonders in the world. This will be followed by curio shopping at the craft village.
· After your exciting trip into the rainforest, head out to Gorges Lodge (30 min) for lunch. Built on the edge of the Batoka Gorge, 200 metros above the Zambezi River, Gorges Lodge has spectacular views in a tranquil and remote setting.
· After lunch, head to your choice of either an elephant back ride or a helicopter flip over the Falls before heading back to camp.
· On returning enjoy an alfresco bush shower then sip our signature cocktail around the campfire with a 3 course dinner to follow in the elegant main lodge area.
· After dinner we will have a discussion and review the top photos of the day on a projector.
· Once the food has settled we will take a short walk to photograph silhouetted baobabs and palm trees against the clear African sky.
· Sunrise wake up with tea or coffee, then a guided walk and camera in hand within the park escorted by a fully licensed and experienced guide to explore the river banks and the wildlife that drink along the river's edge.
· After returning to breakfast in the main lodge area, pack up for your scenic road transfer to Camelthorn Lodge (4 hours). Camelthorn is situated on the edge of Hwange National Park, famed for its large elephant herds!
· Once at Camelthorn, settle in to your forest villa and then enjoy a rejuvenating lunch underneath the lodge’s namesake tree in front of the main dining area.
· Afternoon game drive into Hwange National Park ending up at our unique underground blind at Stoffie’s Pan for beverages and aperitifs and rare moments with nature and exceptional photographic opportunities from a unique perspective.
· Night drive back to the lodge waterhole where an authentic outdoor bush dinner will be served under the African sky
· Head back to your room after a long day and fall asleep to the night sounds, a lion’s roar or the call of hyena. DAY 5:
· Early morning tea of coffee while we go over photographic techniques and animal behavior that we will put into action for the day.
· Guests pack daypacks for a full day trip into the park for our one of a kind ‘pump run’ with a picnic and siesta under the trees at Mfagazaan Pan. Imvelo’s trademark pump runs combine game viewing in remote areas of the park with practical hands-on conservation. Guests can assist their guide with day-to-day maintenance at the borehole pumps, which are the heartbeat of Hwange National Park and its wildlife.
· Leisurely afternoon game drive back to the lodge going from Pan to Pan, weaving our way between the throngs of jostling elephant that come pouring in for the fresh water. It makes for a fun, memorable and extremely rewarding day.
· Showers or bubble baths and then campfire refreshments before your 3 course dinner in the main lodge area followed by a review of the days top photos on the projector and later fall asleep to the sounds of the African bush around you.
· Wake up to the warmth of your own fireplace in your villa while sipping freshly brewed coffee or tea and later enjoy your inviting breakfast in the main lodge area before heading to the nearby Ngamo village for a village and school tour where you will able to see some of Imvelo’s community initiative projects.
· After a fun packed morning at the village, a splendid lunch will be enjoyed at the 'Look up blind' watching the abundance of game come down to quench their thirst. A leisurely few hours will be spent enjoying this special wildlife experience.
· You also have the option to relax around camp where we will go over photographic techniques and animal behavior that we will put into action during the afternoon.
· Later in the afternoon a game drive or a guided walk along the elephant paths on the edge of the park, providing the chance to experience Hwange's magnificent elephant at ground level.
· Stop at a watering hole inside the park to watch the sun go down with refreshments and snacks before being picked up a Camelthorn 4x4 and taking a night drive back to the lodge to freshen up before dinner.
· 3-course dinner will be served in the main lodge area under the African sky followed by coffee, hot chocolate or a nightcap around the campfire.
· Night photography is always special with the clear skies and sounds of Africa that engulf you.
· Wake up early beneath the acacia canopy listening to the plethora of birdlife that live around the lodge while sipping coffee or tea. Head out soon after in our Imvelo 4x4 game viewing vehicle and end up at one of the pans where the Imvelo team who will provide a delectable champagne brunch while you relax at the pan.
· Take a leisurely drive back to Camelthorn and enjoy a few hours at the lodge, either bird watching / photographing around the camp or taking a siesta.
· While relaxing around camp where we will go over more photographic techniques and animal behavior that we will put into action during the afternoon.
· As the African sun starts to cool in the afternoon, climb aboard the 4x4 packed with cold refreshments and snacks and drive along the Ngamo plains renowned for magnificent game viewing
· Stop at a watering hole to watch the sun sink beneath the horizon before heading back to the lodge to freshen up before your farewell banquet dinner out under the Camelthorn tree.
· Sadly the safari has almost come to an end. We will all share our photos on the projector and experiences as we reminisce over the last 7 days.
· Wake up at sunrise with coffee or tea and then head out for a guided walk into the Hwange National Park, escorted by a fully licensed and experienced guide who will share their knowledge and love of the bush with you.
· Getting close up to Africa's pristine wildlife on foot with your camera will be an experience never to be forgotten.
· You can certainly feel that you are in the animal’s space; this perspective of photographing the animals is again completely different than shooting from the vehicle.
· Return to the lodge for a scrumptious breakfast before packing up and catching your transfer to Victoria Falls for your departing flight (4 hours)
Copyright 2013. Farren Safaris. All rights reserved.